Jan 20, 2012

Is Your Marriage In A Rut?

I was recently asked, "What do you do to keep your marriage from being boring?"  I had honestly not thought about that.  As you know, us woman have a huge list of daily to do's.  Between taking care of the family, kids, making dinner, and making time to spend with the Lord, it can be easy to get lazy in the area of marriage.  I personally have had moments when I was floating in the clouds and deeply in love with my husband.  Then there are days when we feel like ships passing in the night.  I ask you, "Are you in the clouds or just sailing along?"

For Joel and I, we make it a choice not to get into ruts or get bored with each other.  The simplest way to do this is to plan a monthly date.  I hear you saying, "A date, what's that?"  You know those wonderful things you went on when you really wanted to get to know each other before you were married.  I know what you are thinking, "But we don't have money or the funds to go out."  That's all right.  I have been there.  Here are a few creative date ideas we have done.

  • Go to a local coffee shop, get something you like, and hold hands while talking.
  • After the kids go to bed, have a picnic at home.  You can either pick up takeout or make a small treat at home.  Lay out a blanket and light a few candles to set the mood.
  • Take a walk in the park and share something new with your spouse.  Maybe there is something the Lord has laid on your heart that you need to share.
  • Have a competitive game night at home.  Whatever you do, don't get into an argument if you loose.  That totally ruins the entire purpose of the date.  
  • Make some popcorn, sit on the couch together, and watch a movie. (Fireproof is a great movie.)
For those of you who have a little extra money to spare, I encourage you to go to a weekend Christian marriage retreat.  Joel and I have attended three events in the last six years and they have been instrumental in improving our communication and understanding of each other.  I suggest the following retreats.

My challenge to you is take a step outside of your comfort zone and get to know your spouse on a whole new level.  The adventures that God has in store for your marriage are endless.  God Bless!! 

No comments: