Mar 31, 2010

Reader's Choice Winner!!!

Hello, everyone.  I apologize for my delay in posting the Reader's Choice suggestions.  It has been one of those world wind weeks.  On a positive note, we do have a winner of the $10 Panara Gift Card.  YEAH!  There were many blog suggestions that were submitted.  Thanks to www.random.org, the winner is Mary from Michigan.  Congratulations Mary!!

The very first Readers Choice suggestion comes from Maegan from North Carolina.  Maegan asks, "I want to know how you spend $80 on two weeksworth of groceries." 

Great question Maegan.  Even though it is just Joel and I, we try to budget our grocery shopping but make sure our meals are filling and healthy.  To help everyone understand what my average trip to Trader Joe's looks like, I have noted my last grocery purchase, below.  Please note, prior to shopping, I already had a big bag of brown rice, eggs, steel cut oats, whole wheat tortillas, and shredded cheese at home.  These are huge staples in our house.  I am the only one eating this week because Joel is fasting.  However, I am still making the portion sizes that I would normally cook if he was eating.  This is helping me have leftovers for other meals.

Trader Joe’s Purchase 3/27/10


 Trader Joe’s Yogurt O’s Strawberry Cereal - $3.49
 Trader Joe’s Chicken Broth (1 carton) – $1.99
 Organic Almond Milk (2 cartons, $1.69 ea.) - $3.38
 Trader Joe’s Vanilla Greek Yogurt (16 oz.) - $2.99
 1 Dozen Brown Free Range Eggs - $1.99
 Trader Joe’s Can Vegetarian Re-fried Beans - $.99
 Trader Joe’s Mirepoix (Chopped carrots, onion, & celery) - $2.99
 Trader Joe’s Apple Cereal Bars - $1.69
 Trader Joe’s Steamed Lentils - $2.99
 1 lb Trader Joe’s Grilled Chicken Strips - $5.29
 Trader Joe’s Garden Veg. Chicken Sausage (4 links)- $4.99
 2 Pears ($.49 ea.) - $.98
 2 Apples ($.59 ea.) - $1.18
 2 Bags Trader Joe’s Bagged Baby Spinach ($1.99 ea.) - $3.98
 Trader Joe’s Organic Pink Lemonade - $2.99
 1 Loaf Ezekiel Bread - $3.99
 Organic Whole Wheat Penne Pasta - $1.29
 1 Carton Organic Mini Pearl Tomatoes - $3.99
 4 oz carton of Trader Joe’s Crumbled Goat Cheese - $2.19
 Trader Joe’s Cream Cheese - $1.49
 1 Onion - $.59
 1 Jar Red Pepper, Eggplant, and Garlic Spread - $1.99
 1 Gal. Trader Joe’s Liquid Laundry Soap - $8.99
 7 Bananas ($.19 ea.) – $1.33
GRAND TOTAL SPENT PLUS TAX - $68.30 ($11.70 still avail if needed)

WK 1 MEAL PLANNER

Saturday
Breakfast – French Toast
Lunch – Leftover Fried Brown Rice with Peas
Dinner – Enchilada Casserole (B-Day Party)

Sunday
Breakfast – Yogurt O’s with Almond Milk
Lunch – Chicken Wrap on Whole Wheat Tortilla with Spinach

Dinner – Another Birthday Party (no cooking)
** I made a big pot of Lentil Soup with Chicken Sausage.  Put half of it in the freezer for next week and put other portion in the fridge for lunch/dinner for the week.  I used 3 of the 4 Chicken Sausage links.  I put the extra link in the freezer for another meal.

Monday
Breakfast -Yogurt and Granola
Lunch - Lentil Soup and a pear
Dinner - Enchilada Casserole (Leftovers)

Tuesday
Breakfast – Cereal with Almond Milk
Snack – Banana
Lunch – Lentil Soup and Cinn. Raisin English muffin
Dinner – Spinach, Onion, and Cheese Frittata

Wednesday
Breakfast – One Scrambled Egg & Banana
Lunch – Enchilada Casserole (Leftovers)
Dinner – Chicken and Cheese Quesadilla (Salsa & Sour Cream on the side)

Thursday
Breakfast – Steel Cut Oats with Raisins
Lunch – Grilled Chicken Wrap w/ Spinach and Cheese
Dinner – Penne with Spinach Sauce and Chicken

Friday – Day off of Work
Breakfast – Scrambled Eggs & Toast
Lunch and Dinner – Heading to Frankenmuth, MI with Joel for an afternoon and evening out!

I will post next weeks meals on Saturday to show you how I used the rest of my groceries.  The recipe for the Lentil Soup and Penne with Spinach Sauce will be posted tomorrow.  Feel free to post comments on meals you make during the week that a great leftovers or that quick and healthy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so Incredible Candice!
I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!
Thank you for always doing so much to help us.
You are truly a wonderful wife.
I am so proud of YOU.
xoxo -Joel

Lisa said...

Awwww.... that's so sweet! I mean, I loved the post, but the comment is even better. ;-) How do you generate these types of comments from your husband? I've got to figure this one out. :-)

Candice said...

Lisa, I loved Joel's comment, too. He suprised me with that, today. I promise I am the one who married up but he beggs to differ.